Marijuana business accelerator launches tenth cohort of seed-stage startups
BOULDER, CO, Oct. 1, 2018 – CanopyBoulder, a seed-stage investment fund and business accelerator for companies developing ancillary, or non-plant touching, products and services for the legal cannabis industry, is pleased to announce the launch of its fall 2018 class. Ten startups have been selected for CanopyBoulder’s 16-week accelerator program, with businesses ranging from banking and regulatory platforms, web tools, agriculture technology, and consumer accessories and assistance.
In addition to the launch of its tenth cohort, CanopyBoulder is proud to announce the hiring of Bob Goodman, who joins the team as Managing Director alongside Patrick Rea and Micah Tapman. Mr. Goodman has a deep background in breakthrough technologies including blockchain, cryptocurrency, and electronics, in addition to lending his expertise to both venture-backed startups and investment firms throughout his career. In his role at CanopyBoulder, Mr. Goodman will focus on building robust business models and supporting entrepreneurs with problem solving and idea execution, while furthering CanopyBoulder’s mission to foster the growth and scalability of ancillary (non-plant touching) tech startups within the cannabis industry.
The CanopyBoulder program is designed to accelerate business development, refine strategy, and prepare companies to raise capital. Over 150 mentors, cannabis-focused venture firms, and key figures in the cannabis industry support the teams throughout the program. At the end of the 16-week program, the teams “graduate,” presenting their businesses to an audience of investors, cannabis business professionals, media, and local community.
The ten companies included in the fall 2018 cohort include:
- Buddle empowers cannabis businesses to navigate the industry’s complex legal and regulatory landscape with automated legal services, access to legal documents and a network of cannabis law experts.
- L.A. Cannabis News is the first media company dedicated to localized cannabis news, events and jobs.
- Defining The Box conducts, films, and distributes tests for cannabis accessories to provide tailored product recommendations to consumers.
- MediPays provides cannabis businesses with compliant bank accounts, electronic payments, and other financial services through its FinTech-powered cannabis banking platform.
- FrostCorp produces cannabis kiosks to create an interactive consumer experience that reduces dispensaries’ fulfillment of costs while increasing store capacity.
- Azara Solutions, Inc. provides web tools that streamline operations, hold staff accountable, and permeate regulations.
- Green Genomix provides personalized cannabis recommendations through DNA testing.
- Designed Technology/Bello works to improve the public perception of cannabis consumers by cleaning and simplifying the consumption process.
- The Grove is defining the retail platform for cannabis consumption venues around the world through hosting a variety of businesses in a beautifully designed space that acts as a cultural hub for the surrounding areas.
- Enabled Label offers modern origin certification for supply chains. Its technology provides batch-level origin and quality verification generated in real-time.
“CanopyBoulder is committed to supporting the infrastructure behind the legal cannabis industry, and we feel confident that this cohort will provide the services and technology needed to continue this astronomical growth,” said Patrick Rea, co-founder and Managing Director of CanopyBoulder. “As the industry evolves, so does what we look for in potential startups. At this point in its life cycle, we know that consumer transparency and compliance navigation are top of mind, so our focus is helping these entrepreneurs fill the voids.”
On Tuesday, October 2, at 6:30pm MT, CanopyBoulder will host a launch party for its fall 2018 class. The event will be held at Squared Pizza & Beer in Boulder and will include networking with investors, mentors, and entrepreneurs from the CanopyBoulder ecosystem and other industry professionals. Details and tickets can be found here.
CanopyBoulder is a venture fund and business accelerator working in partnership with the largest cannabis investor forum, the Arcview Group, for companies developing ancillary, or non-plant touching, products and services for the legal cannabis industry. Companies are handpicked by the selection committee to receive $30,000 in capital and participate in an intensive 16-week accelerator program. CanopyBoulder advisors and mentors work closely with each company, helping define business models, refine unique selling propositions, and focus marketing and fundraising activities. For more information, please visit www.canopyboulder.com.